It was precisely 12:28 p.m. when Rio Rancho Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Richard Doty said he was at the Village Inn on NM 528 in response to smoke in the restaurant’s kitchen.
“We got a call that there was smoke throughout the restaurant from the kitchen area and also showing from the roof,” Doty said. “I made a quick look inside, and there was a fair amount of smoke still billowing within the restaurant, while the restaurant was being evacuated.”
Doty said when crews arrived, they inspected the roof with a ladder truck and made interior checks, but could not find the cause of the smoke.
“We also used thermal energy cameras to be able to look and see if there were any hot spots. We indicated nothing,” Doty said.
When the Observer left the scene, Doty had not discovered what led to the smoke or how much damage it might have caused.